[Skip to Content]

Does a Treehouse need planning permission

In general for the purposes of planning permission, climbing frames are treated as temporary structures and as such planning permission is usually not required. However, in our experience each planning department has its own set of guidelines for treehouses. There are general guidelines for outdoor buildings and raised decking and, at the moment, climbing frames, playtowers and treehouses fall into the same category. They are;

  • The structure must be less than 4 metres high to the top of a ridged roof if it is to be beyond 2 metres from a boundary. If it has a flat roof the maximum height should be 3 metres.
  • The structure must be less than 2.5 metres high if within 2 metres from the boundary
  • The playtower should be 5 metres away from the dwelling.
  • The playtower must not be sited between the dwelling and the main highway.
  • The playtower does not have a floor area in excess of 30 square metres.
  • If the playtower has a floor area of more than 20 square metres, it should be 1 metre from the boundary.

Platforms above 30 cm need planning permission.

When you’re considering buying a climbing frame, playtower or treehouse, the first people we would suggest you talk to are the neighbours and anyone else who might object for whatever reason. Next we would suggest you ask your local planning officer whether they think you would need planning for what you propose to have installed. It would appear that there is a degree of objectivity allowed when considering planning proposals and this can lead to differing opinions from one authority to the next. In reality not many of our clients have been asked to apply for planning permission and no-one has been refused. Playahead Direct are happy to provide additional drawings, sketches and dimensions to assist with a planning application. There is an additional charge for this.

Follow the link to the official government site on planning permission


Add comment

Leave a Reply

(Required, not published)